Skip to main content

Ashfast Sermons

A sermon should burn slow.

That’s the first line on the note card. Three words, period after each, the way Brother Alastair taught us—short declaratives like tapping a match against the box, like you mean it. Then a space where I’m supposed to write the part where restraint triumphs, where the flock leaves soot-footed and grateful their appetites did not become their masters.

I tuck the note card back into my jacket. The chapel’s basement is a poured-concrete thing with a thrift-store chandelier bolted to the rebar ceiling, its glass teeth catching light from the exit sign. The Order of the Burning Veil doesn’t waste money underground; it wastes people. I have keys because someone keeps mistaking me for responsible, and tonight “responsible” means watching a god breathe through iron.

They call it Ashfast. It’s not its name. It’s a warning, a tempo: ash that comes fast, as if the world were kindling and the world knew it.

The god doesn’t look like anything. That’s the safest way to keep one—no face to pity, no eyes. You keep the shape out of your head and faith out of its diet. The thing in the circle is a hum the size of a room, a pressure between heartbeats, a candle’s exhale in a hurricane’s throat.

On the concrete lip of the ward, the chain glows dull red where it crosses the sigils. The chain itself is not iron. The brethren argue about alloys; Brother Alastair says we stop pretending we invented vows and accept that metal is just a costume for words.

I sit on the folding chair and try to think about anything else.

The taste comes back anyway: that unsignable, unforgivable pinch of divinity I let touch my tongue last month. It was a smear the size of a fingernail, a priestling’s curiosity cast as research. I had reasons, of course. I could hear Brother Alastair’s lecture on comparative heresies in my head. I could hear the way the city up there crackles like a skillet at midnight—the buses, the laundromats, the wet-dog steam of manholes after rain.

The taste was the quiet between traffic lights.

That’s what I’m trying not to remember when the god speaks.

It doesn’t use language. It leans. It presses a moment against me until its meaning dented the surface of thought, until the mind stops insisting that only consonants are real.

Hungry, it says. Not a question.

“That makes two of us,” I tell the circle.

There’s a camera up in the corner, one of those grey domes that might be fake. We’re frugal when we’re sincere. I angle the folding chair so all they’ll see is my shoulder.

“Guard duty,” I say. “I brought a note card.”

You tasted me, the not-voice says, but what I hear is my own name in a tone my mother would not use. You came back because you think you’re strong now.

“Strong is a generous word.” I set a thermos on the floor. “Prepared,” I offer. “Rehearsed.”

I unscrew the thermos. The smell is coffee and something more. Brother Alastair wouldn’t approve, but Brother Alastair isn’t down here and the rule about stimulants is more custom than law. I pour slowly. The liquid is black and clean, and its steam makes a ghost of my face.

You think to drown taste with taste. The chain twitches like a yawn through a harp.

I sip. I pretend the bitterness is enough.

Above me, footsteps on the chapel floorboards. The last of the weekday congregation, city-rush prayers and campus-easy contrition. The door at the top of the basement stairs opens and closes; I get alone again with an old problem dressed in a new knot.

“You have a lot of sermons delivered to you,” I say. “Has anyone ever converted you?”

You mistake me for a man. The not-voice comes like half-remembered music and bites at the end of the line. You mistake conversion for a change of mind. When gods change, worlds shift to keep up. Ask the street lamps if they notice.

“Street lamps notice everything.” I glance at my phone—lock screen a photo of a bus stop with a sticker that says WINTER IS A CHOICE. The service bars down here are loyal to no one. “You know what I am?”

Soft metal hammered flat and called a mirror. The chain shivers. A boy with a mouthful of smoke, teaching children not to play with matches.

“Boy is pushing it.” Twenty-seven looks better in daylight.

At the edge of the circle sits a dull steel bowl: offerings for testing, for evidence, for study. It is empty. It is never empty in the older stories; the monks in the wood-cut books had to beat back their own hands. We are modern. We have procedures. We have monthly audits and the new key-card system that logs who opens what. In our era, temptation is just a form you forgot to sign.

The god leans again. Hungry, it says, and this time the word lands under my ribs where the craving keeps its cot made, rumpled even when empty.

“Me too,” I say again, because sometimes the second truth is braver than the first.

Upstairs, someone laughs, bright as glass. The laugh fades. Sister Miriam hums a hymn I know only by the wrong lyrics we give it on road trips. The building settles. The night pulls its chair up to our table and waits.

“A sermon should burn slow,” I say to the dark. “I tell them you don’t stop a wildfire with more fire. You stop it with a line that won’t cross you.”

You draw lines in ash. Wind laughs. The chain’s heat pulses against the sigils, and the sigils hold like old hands on a good rope. You tasted me. You have my ember in your mouth when you sleep. Your teeth spark in your skull. You cannot preach restraint with a kissed tongue.

“You are very rude,” I say, and drape the spare jacket over my lap so the camera doesn’t catch my left hand shaking.

Gods don’t read minds. They press. They knead a truth against a shape until one remembers the other. What Ashfast presses now is not words but a smell: the first broccoli I ever burned, the caramel of a marshmallow that fell into coals, the snow of my grandmother’s attic when we found the old iron, the scorch of dust on a heater that’s been quiet since spring. Heat writes a family tree that way. You think you’re resisting a god; you’re really resisting the versions of yourself that want to join the choir.

“Talk to me,” I say. “Say anything that isn’t appetite.”

Once, Ashfast says after a long humming second, I tried to be a wooden chair.

I blink. “Seriously?”

The little ones sat on me and cried because the feast was late. They kicked their heels against me. Their mothers wiped their faces. A chair belongs to a home. A home belongs to a hearth. In the old language, those are the same word. I said: I can be a home. The man I loved said: be a god. We argued until the bread burned and then no one wanted to eat at all.

I sip my coffee. “That’s the most domestic a chained divinity has ever sounded.”

Do you think I am foreign to kitchens? The not-voice warms with the memory. Oven doors are my eyelids. I count time in rising loaves. I was worshiped with salt and small songs. I was worshiped with smoke and large ones. In your city, I run in wires and breath in dryer vents. You are made of me. Do not argue with your maker while carrying a match.

“You’re very good at this,” I say, and it’s not a compliment.

You are very bad at not listening.

Footsteps again—but closer, on the basement stairs. The door at the top is iron lattice, ornamental mostly; the clack of its latch is older than me. Keys murmur. Metal meets metal, a social call.

I stand without standing up. A whole body can flinch inside a still one.

The door doesn’t open. The keys jingle pocketsward. A voice on the other side says, “Fifteen minutes,” and the steps go back up.

Fifteen minutes until the relief shift. Brother Alastair, if he can’t sleep. Sister Miriam, if he sent her instead. Fifteen minutes, which means thirteen, which means ten, because this is a building full of people who believe clocks are negotiation.

You will starve, Ashfast says, and ten minutes becomes a hot slice of air. You will train yourself to love starvation. You will engrave sayings on your bones and polish them when you want to swallow. You will mistake slogans for sacraments and the denial itself for godhood. Your mouth is not for absence.

“You’re projecting.”

You are a mirror.

I’m not supposed to step closer to the circle. The training says: distance is discipline. But training also says: know your reach. I take one measured step until the warmth of the chain finds my skin through denim, a dog nosing a hand it thinks might have treats.

“I have an idea,” I say, because dumb bravery is a younger sibling of wisdom and both were raised by necessity.

You will open the circle and then apologize to the camera, the god says, amused. You will cry as the audit bleeds your name out of the ledger. Your elders will say: he meant well, and that will save your life. You will lose your tongue and learn to preach with your eyes.

“You’ve put thought into this.”

I have centuries, it says, and there’s no boast in it, just math.

“I’m not opening the circle.”

No?

“No. I’m opening a door you’re not watching.”

I pull the note card. Flip it. The back is blank except for sweat ghosts from my palm. I borrow a pen from my pocket and write:

I vow: my mouth will not be a furnace for hunger, nor a shrine for denial; my tongue will be a knife for truth, not a plate for gods.

Oathwork is metallurgy, yes, but it is also typography. You choose your letters the way a smith chooses alloy, then you heat them with saying. Brother Alastair calls this “tempering.” He calls almost everything tempering. He thinks he’s subtle.

I read the vow once, cold, to see how it sits in my mouth. Then again, warmer, to see what it will do to the air. On the third time, I mean it.

Words thicken between me and the circle. The chain hums like a rail when a train is thinking about coming home. The sigils flex.

Do you think this impresses me? Ashfast says, but the press of it is thinner now, thread through a needle’s eye.

“You’re not the audience.” I swallow, and taste solder. “You’re the beneficiary.”

Explain, little smith.

“I’m binding you to my vow.” I tuck the note card under the edge of the ward, just outside the chalk. “Not to my will. I am very bad at wills. I can want and want and still say no. But my vows hold. They’re older than me and bigger, because they were taught with soup and stories, not statutes.”

Binding me to what you promise yourself. There’s a quiet like tree-shadow after that. If you break it, what do I become?

“A chair,” I say, because I don’t know what else to call a god forced to hold a shape it despises. “You become what I use my mouth for. If my mouth becomes a furnace for hunger, you get to breathe through me. If my mouth becomes denial, you get to wither. If my mouth becomes a knife for truth—”

Then? Its not-voice is almost a whisper: not to keep me from hearing, but because it is listening.

“Then you get to be a god without eating me.”

This is blasphemy. Not the fun kind where you steal a relic and learn to love motorcycles. The rare kind where you tell a god it doesn’t need worship to be true.

Sister Miriam would smack me with the hymnal. Brother Alastair would brew tea and say my name until I cried.

You cannot bind me, Ashfast says softly. I am the fire. I outrun ropes. I invented doors as a kindness and locks as a joke. I lick definitions to see if they sweeten. You cannot bind me with a boy’s ink.

I touch the chain. I shouldn’t. We have a sign about that. The warmth is steady—a heartbeat that forgot to leave the metal it learned in. “I’m not binding you,” I say. “I’m binding to you. There’s a difference. If I break my vow, I loosen your chain. If I keep it, you keep your shape. You want to be a chair? Be a chair. But be the chair because I’m honest, not because I starved myself into being a good boy.”

Silence. Upstairs, the building exhales. Through the lattice, hallway light gilds dust. My left hand trembles and I let it. The camera in the corner may be fake, but accountability is real and someday I will sit in a room with people who love me and tell them what I did.

You think you have made a lever, Ashfast says at last. You think you will pry me into goodness with the crowbar of your sincerity.

“Goodness is ambitious,” I say. “I’ll settle for common ground.”

Hungry, it says, but the press of the word no longer pushes under my ribs. It lays against my chest like a cat that refuses to admit affection. And tired. And old in the way that wires get old: more efficient every year and less patient for fools.

“Same,” I say, and—because there is no one to impress—I laugh.

The chain cools one degree. A penny of sweat rolls from my temple and tastes, absurdly, like sugar.

The keys return to the door. The latch does its theatre. Brother Alastair steps in with his librarian’s stoop and his wolf’s eyes. He sniffs the air.

“Tea?” he says, which is code for coffee plus something you will pretend is legal.

“Thermos,” I say, and show the empty cup, which is not what he asked and exactly what he meant.

He looks at the note card. He doesn’t touch it. He reads with the speed of a man who has tried to outrun words and failed and is all the better for it.

“Hmm,” he says, which also has a code: We will sit with this in the morning and neither of us will sleep before then.

“Do you want me to leave it?” I ask.

“Leave what?” he asks back, and there’s relief in my spine I didn’t expect.

He goes to the circle. He doesn’t step inside the chalk; he doesn’t have to. His vows are old enough that chalk steps into him. “How are we tonight?” he asks the room.

Hungry, says Ashfast, and—saints behold—it sounds less like a weapon and more like the beginning of a recipe.

Brother Alastair nods. “We can work with that,” he says, and when he looks at me his mouth makes a line I’ve seen over kettles and coffins. “Go upstairs, Jonah. Put your tongue in some ice water and have Sister Miriam bully you into eating something that had parents.”

“Yes, Brother.”

“Bring me the thermos.” He waggles fingers. I hand it over like a baptized sinner surrendering a flask. He pours a little on the edge of the ward. The liquid steams. That, the old man says to the god, almost conversational, “is coffee. It is not for you. But you can smell it. You may imagine it. You may tell me the story of a cup you remember from a winter you refuse to admit was beautiful.”

The chain hums. The hum is not agreement, not exactly. It is something warmer.

At the door, I look back once. My note card is half-under the ward, the ink already pulling itself deeper into the paper fiber like heat going looking for a home. I will catch hell for that card or I will not; either way, the vow now knows my name.

On the chapel floor, the thrift chandelier looks down like it knows gossip. Sister Miriam meets me at the stairs with a Tupperware box of roast chicken and the kind of stare that substitutes for affection when affection would just make a boy cry.

“Eat,” she orders.

“Yes, Sister.”

“Drink this after.” A paper cup appears. It smells like mint, like something green that volunteered for this.

“Yes, Sister.”

“And stop writing vows in the basement like a poet in a heatwave.”

“Yes,” I say, and then I say the truer thing: “I’ll try.”

She nods as if that’s worth anything, which is exactly how value happens here: unearned, then made real by practice.

The city outside is night and flicker, buses and laundromats and wet-dog steam. Street lamps notice everything. Also, sometimes, they forgive.

When I lie down at last, my mouth is not a furnace. It is not a shrine for denial. My tongue does not ache to be a knife, but it might be one tomorrow, and the day after that. The vow sits in me like a coal that refuses to go out just because the fire above it is sleeping.

Somewhere below, a god learns the name of coffee. Somewhere above, a boy learns the oldest trick: bind yourself to the thing you fear and teach it your rules by keeping them.

A sermon should burn slow. Tonight, I think, it will.

Comments

Popular Stories

Sensory Anchors for Writers - Micro Guide

Turn abstract emotions into tangible moments. 1. DEFINE IT A sensory anchor is one hyper-specific detail (sound, scent, texture, taste, or visual cue) that grounds a scene and evokes deeper emotion. Example: Not: "She was stressed." Anchor: "Her thumb traced the chipped edge of her coffee cup." 2. DEPLOY IT (The STEAL Method) Select one sense per key moment. Tie it to emotion (e.g., brittle porcelain = fragility). Embed it early to set tone. Amplify it later for callback power. Leave space—don’t over-explain. 3. EDIT FOR IMPACT Scan your draft: Replace adjectives with sensory verbs ("the wind howled" vs. "it was windy"). Add one "wildcard" sense (e.g., taste in a tense scene: "The metallic tang of fear"). 4. PRO EXAMPLE "Rain tapped the tin roof. She tasted salt—tears or sea spray? — as his lie settled between them, cold as wet stone." (Anchor: salty taste + cold stone texture → betrayal) BONUS Close loops by echoing...

The Ash and the Blade

  The boy’s name was Caelen. He was born with a wooden sword in his hands—or so his mother always said. In truth, he carved it himself when he was six, sitting by the hearth in the village of Rensfall, nestled in the green belly of the Kingdom of Alrennor. Caelen trained every day in the fields. He fought shadows, fence posts, and the wind. He dreamed of oaths sworn beneath banners, of steel polished to a mirror's shine, of saving queens from dragons—though there were no dragons left, and no queens in Rensfall. Still, he knew. He would be a Knight of the Crown. Alrennor was a kingdom of order. The king, Aedric the Evenhanded, ruled from the gleaming city of Eldhollow. Knights patrolled the roads, silver-cloaked and righteous. And every ten years, the Crown summoned boys of fifteen to present themselves at Eldhollow’s gates for the Trials of the Blade. Caelen never made it. The year he turned thirteen, smoke rose over the mountains. I. The Fall The war came without warning. No heral...

Romantic FX: 7 Steamy Dialogue Sparks

  Romantic FX: 7 Steamy Dialogue Sparks Ignite chemistry instantly with seven plug‑and‑play romantic dialogue setups. Table of Contents Preface How to Use This Guide Spark 1: The First Touch Spark 2: Midnight Confession Spark 3: Words Left Unsaid Spark 4: Jealous Whispers Spark 5: Rescue & Reverie Spark 6: The Dare Spark 7: Final Surrender Afterword Bonus Tips: Sensual Subtext & Body Language Cues Launch Checklist 🖋️ Preface Romantic tension hinges on both what’s said and what’s withheld. These seven Sparks deliver ready‑made scenes to electrify your dialogue and deepen emotional stakes. Perfect for romance writers seeking to spark passion, boost heat levels, or revitalize slow moments. How to Use This Guide Choose a Spark: Select the scenario that fits your scene or practice needs. Read the Setup & Hook: Immerse in the setting, stakes, and character motivations. Use the Starter Line: Begin writing with the provided opening. Add Your Twist: Make characters unique—c...